So I got this idea to teach myself how to make fabulous birthday cakes for my kids. I have always been a fan of cake decorating and shows like "Ace of Cakes." Every year I have bought Elizabeth's cakes, and usually paid more than I am comfortable with, however I thought, if I could just teach myself how to do this, I could save money and give my kids something special and really tailored to their own tastes and dreams. Here is the cake before I assembled it. I originally planned to do complete made from scratch cakes, but my mom who happened to visit that weekend talked me out of it. So I doctored cake mixes to make a very moist chocolate cake and a white sour cream almond cake. I purchased these lovely square pans from a hole in the wall craft store on East University in Des Moines call Claytons. They are owned by a couple in their 80's who I am pretty sure live in the rear of the store. However they are computerized and will help you with absolutely anything that you need. They had more cake decorating stuff than any chain store I had visited in Des Moines. Since we had to bake one layer at a time, it took all day, and more buttercream than you can shake a stick at. But we persevered, and here we are.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment