Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Making Applesauce

So Chad brought home a large bag of apples from work. He said that there are trees on the school districts property, and that they had already been picked, and were looking for a home. Well since my mom and sister Deanne have been making killer applesauce for years, and my mom has ruined me for eating the store brand stuff, I thought here was my golden opportunity. The problem came when after getting careful instructions from my mom, I got to work and realized that these apples were smaller than regular tree apples. Well, I figured apples were apples and kept going. I did however stop to email Chad to see if any of his co-workers knew what type of apples they were. Mid way through the peeling/coring/slicing (thanks pampered chef gadget, I knew I would put you to use someday!) Chad replies "the consensus is that they are crab apples" Uh Oh. I thought I remembered something about crab apples not being easy to work with. But, I figured I could make it work and kept going, nothing a little extra sugar couldn't fix. Well, needless to say, I ended up not making applesauce, but apple paste. No flavor except for mush. Hmmmm I wonder if I could use this for an arts and crafts project. . . .

No comments: